The National Register–listed Bevier Memorial Building, located in Downtown Rochester, was designed by Claude Bragdon and completed in 1910. It was originally built to house the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute’s School of Art and Design, predecessor to the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).
The building survived the urban renewal of the 1960s, when many older properties were leveled for new construction projects. However, after RIT vacated the property, the building sat empty for 15 years.
With a vision to rehabilitate the building, Franklin Properties, LLC, led by longtime CPC borrower Doug Sutherland and his business partner Patrick Dutton, closed on a $2.7 million construction loan and a SONYMA-insured permanent loan through the New York State CRF. In partnership with the City of Rochester and the County of Monroe Industrial Development Agency, this project created 15 loft-style apartments and 5,000 square feet of ground-floor office space.
The Bevier Building exemplifies CPC’s commitment to restoring historic structures and revitalizing downtowns throughout the state.